The old Yarwell Mill, was a large coursed limestone building of three stories and loft, it was erected in 1839, replacing an earlier building that was shown on an enclosure map of 1778. The adjoining mill house may have been built earlier.
In 1881, Henry Jelly was the Miller here. He was also a farmer of 500 acres, employing 16 men and nine boys.
George Robinson operated the Mill in 1914.
Jack Starsmore, farmer and livestock haulier was the last Miller at the Mill, carrying on from his Father and Grandfather. Son of Sarah and John Starsmore, he was born in Nassington and attended Nassington school. When he was 11 he moved with his family to Vine House, Yarwell. Farming was in his blood, and when he was 12 he was leading the horse pulling his father’s plough. At the age of 21 he was running his father’s farm with the help of a German prisoner. Ground corn and meal, flour and pheasant food were delivered in sacks and bags to local villages by horse and cart.
Around twenty cows were milked and Jack delivered milk in all weathers, even by punt if there was a flood! On the day of his marriage to Grace at Duddington Church, in 1945, he rose early to milk the cows and deliver the milk. After their marriage, they moved to Yarwell Post Office, where Grace became Post Mistress and Jack continued farming.
Jack started the caravan site which was also a wildlife haven.
Sadly, Jack passed away in May 2011 aged 91. His Widow Grace Starsmore continued to live in Yarwell Village until she died in 2018.
The Old Mill has since been converted into 6 luxury apartments.
The nearby farmhouse is a 2 story building with an attic and cellar. It was built for the Earl of Westmorland in 1730-1731 by John Dimbleby a mason, and Edward Orper a carpenter.
It was remodelled in the 19th century.
The Farmhouse is now the Reception and Offices for Yarwell Mill Country Park.
If anyone has any old photographs, information or articles on the history of Yarwell Mill or Yarwell Village please email the web administrator